Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Why I Want To Be Excited About The Oscars... And Why I'm Not



Oh the Oscars, a night of glamour, where the famous become epic and beautiful people get told that their beautiful.  Once was a time that I sat on the edge of my seat, fingers crossed, shouting with excitement when my favorite actor/director/costume designer wins.  But now, well, it's just not the same.  Hollywood has gotten too political, you can's t even bet on the Oscar's anymore because there is hardly ever a surprise.  And 10 best films... REALLY?  Is that necessary?  I don't think so.

First thing's first.  This Oscar season started with a big slap in the face for Ben Affleck.  Why was he not nominated?  Why?  It really is mind boggling that he can win every other award for a Argo and that everybody seems to love the film, but he loses the nomination to a movie I've never even heard of.  Wut.

Secondly, Seth McFarlane,  I'm having my doubts.  I want to believe, really I do, but I'm not feeling it.  I think we will have an epic opening number song and dance bit, but I feel it going downhill from there.  So far I've been impressed with the ad campaign, but here is my problem with McFarlane, he isn't that great live.  Ever watch an interview with him?  He's kind of flat.  And it's one thing to be offensive when you're hiding behind a cartoon, it's another thing when you just flat out say something offensive without a "gigady".  Then again he can't be worse than Anne Hathaway and James Franco were.  That was the worst thing to ever happen to the Academy Awards.

Third, there is no surprises this year, even though their should be.  The only thing that is totally a toss up is best picture, but I'm kind of hoping it goes to Argo just to make up for the Ben Affleck drama.  I think it's really a toss up between Lincoln and Les Mis, but here's hoping.  The greatest thing that could happen is that Hugh Jackman and Daniel Day-Lewis split the votes and somehow Bradley Cooper wins because I thought he was genius.

Look, I know the people who are going to win deserve these Oscars, especially Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence but I miss the feeling of genuinely not knowing.  Also, I think if you win so many Acadamy Awards you should pull yourself out of the race.  We get it Daniel Day-Lewis (and Meryl Streep) you guys are demi-gods of acting.  We know, the world knows, let somebody else win!  Okay, I would never take my hat out of the ring if I kept getting nominated, I JUST REALLY LOVED BRADLEY COOPER'S PERFORMANCE!  I'm sorry, I'll go pray to Day-Lewis and Streep for forgiveness.

All and all, the best thing that could happen is that McFarlane blows me away.  After that, unless a boob pops out of Adrien Brody kisses a stranger I'm just not feeling it.  It's an excuse to drink on a Sunday at this point.  Strike that last statement from the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment