Monday, September 2, 2013

Why You Should Be Watching The Mighty Boosh... If You Love Regular Show


So tonight, as is my normal Monday night ritual, I watched the new episodes of Regular Show... and got really, really pissed.  You heard me.  I got MAD.  Now don't get me wrong... I love Regular Show, I have often called it the best written show on TV, and when asked why I loved it so much I would tell my friends that it reminded me of the Mighty Boosh.  Just reminded me.  But tonight's episode if "Silver Dude" was a blatent rip off of the Boosh episode "The Power of the Crimp."  The whole point of "The Power of the Crimp" was that rip offs are lame.  I am so disappointed in Regular Show right now I could cry.

Okay, it's not hard to draw parallels between The Boosh and Regular Show, they have a similar character breakdown:

Mordecai/Rigby:  Vince Noir


Benson:  Howard Moon



Skips:  Bollow + Naboo


Muscle Man:  Bob Fossil


On top of that, the shows both deal with way out of this world adventures with the strangest of foes.  There has even been some cross over action with Rich Fulcher (best known as Bob Fossil on the Boosh) who voiced the Phone Guardians in the Regular Show episode "Butt Dial."  J.G. Quintel in fact has spoke of being inspired by the Boosh, which is awesome, because even though the Boosh has been off the radar for years, I still feel everybody should experience the genius.

Now, I have no problem with inspiration.  I love having a show on TV that makes me laugh and soak in weirdness as much as the Boosh does, but, there is a fine line between inspiration and strait up copying.  And I think Regular Show crossed that line tonight.  Not only are the plots of each eerily close, the last 5 minutes are pretty much the same in each.  Don't believe me?  Watch:

Regular Show :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6qBZsr7kg5A

The Mighty Boosh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kghvpAUiFBU


Of course, I am going to keep watching Regular Show because it's one of my favorite shows on TV, I just felt the need to vent about this.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get many hits on this blog post, but sometimes I just need to get things off my chest.  I feel a lot better now.  Thanks internet


No comments:

Post a Comment