Friday, May 3, 2013

CBS Nerd Thurs: The Big Bang Theory, Person Of Interest And Elementary Are The Perfect Combination (spoilers)


OH CBS THURSDAY!  How I adore thee!  Okay, Nerd Thurs is kind of lame, but you totally need a slogan for this programming block.  And also, you need to move Two and a Half Men to another night.  Okay, I don't like that show, but it obviously has a fan base and deserves to stay on the air as long as it can because what else will John Cryer do?  But it gives me a half hour of nothing to watch.  It breaks up the nerdy flow.  Anyway, tonight's Nerd Thurs (give me something better people) was wonderful.  We were given an old school episode of Big Bang (Penny/Sheldon/Leonard + Raj/Howard) with an incredible guest star, and episode of Person of Interest that had me so excited and confused I almost had a mini-stroke AND Elementary bringing us closer to Moriarty!  EEEP.


Big Bang delivered us some gold tonight, but then again if you stick Bob Newhart anywhere you have no choice but to laugh.  Newhart's dry humor had me laughing my ass off with nearly every line he delivered.  Newhart played the part of Sheldon and Leonard's childhood hero "Professor Proton," who I guess would be compared to Bill Nye the Science Guy.  Sheldon pays that elderly entertainer to put on a show for just him and everyone of Newhart's reactions to Sheldon was perfection.  We don't get enough of people outside of the group reacting to Sheldon's, well, Sheldon-ness.  But Penny put on a great show too, her mind blown by Professor Proton's experiments.  Newhart delivered some of the best one liners of the night to Leonard about Penny's... well let's put it gently and say "lack of scientific knowledge."


But, the show had more than a great guest star.  This week reverted back toward the show's initial format.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love Amy.  And I LOVE Shamy.  But I haven't been totally in love with the new girls vs boys format.  Some of the best moments in the show happen between Sheldon and Penny and they haven't been together much this season in lieu of the Shamy phenomenon.  It was good to see only Leonard, Sheldon and Leonard together... though I'm ready to see Amy again next week (I hope).


Now, I wish really, really hard that I could give you a real recap of Person of Interest, but trust me, just watch it.  I'm only 81% sure I actually understood what was going on.  I feel like I need to re-watch this entire season because characters that I wrote off as one episode nobodies have become pinnacle parts of the plot and now I am just lost.  Basically, the computer has a virus and has sent every organization ever mentioned on the show to try and get the phone that rings when the machine crashes.  Apparently, whoever gets that phone call will have access to all the info in the world, along with how to get to the machine.  Weirdly though, most of the episode was about how the machine has basically become Sky Net and is semi-conscious which is kind of horrifying.  Honestly, my favorite part of the episode was the brilliant direction.  Since the machine has a virus we get a broken opening sequence, cameras don't work and we see glitches throughout the entire episode.  Just watch it.  I don't even know.


Awwwww, Sherlock told Watson how much she means to him tonight.  But that's beside the point.  This episode was AWWWEEESSSSOOOMMMEEEE (sing that in a high pitched voice).  Tonight's episode brought back my dear, dear, Vinnie Jones as serial killer Moran.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Jones will be returning to the show after tonight, as he was threatened by Moriarty and attempted suicide.  I really hope he pulls through because I just adore Jones.  If you haven't seen him as Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch, stop reading this and get on Netflix right now.  

Anyway, this episode has brought us one step closer into finding out just exactly who Moriarty is.  It turns out that Moriarty has a network of serial killers working for him, it wasn't just Moran as I had initially thought.  Sherlock and Watson slowly put the pieces together in this super convoluted network of murderers that ends in a phone call with the man himself.  I tried in vain to place the voice on the other end of the line, but I nearly popped a blood vessel in my eye trying to figure it out.  The producers are doing a really great job keeping Moriarty under wraps and I'm kind of glad they are.  I want to be surprised.  I want my head to blow up.  I'm sure if I scoured the internet hard enough I would find out the truth, but fuck it.  I don't want to know.  Needless to say I can't wait for next week for 2 reasons.  1) Moriarty and 2) I'm going to a Q&A with Jonny Lee Miller.  Best week ever.

I've gone into nerd overload.  Must.  Get.  Off.  Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment