Thursday, April 4, 2013

Elementary: Miss Hudson The New Transexual Voice On American TV



As if I couldn't love and respect this show more for breaking the boundaries of whats on typical American network TV, Elementary does it again.  First, they change Doctor Watson from a stuffy dude, to a stuffy dude-ette, an Asian women no less, one of the least represented cultures on American TV, then they update a classic nearly flawlessly, give the fantastic Johnny Lee Miller a platform to be brilliant, and now, NOW they have cast a transgendered woman to play one of the most beloved Shelock Holmes characters Miss Hudson.  How can you not love it?


Meet Candis Cayne, formally Brendan McDaniel, a very successful transgender actress.  This is the kind of confidence, talent and bravery that doesn't get awarded enough in the country.  Bravo CBS, you have just done something no network show has successfully done.  You have cast a LGBT actor in a role where they are neither the victim nor the comic relief, she's just a normal person.  Yes, they make it known that she was once a man but it is quickly breezed over it.  It doesn't really matter and I LOVE it!  And she's some kind of genius   Oh I am loving this, I am eating this up!  That's right CBS, Bravo!  And not to mention, Cayne is FABULOUS.  I mean, yes she is gorgeous, see above picture, but she is a talented actress.  The scene where she Sherlock's apartment was my favorite part of this very blah episode.

Tonight's episode "Snow Angels" may not have been a knock out episode, but the introduction of Miss Hudson made it for me.  I hope to see her in many more episodes now that she is going to be the housekeeper at the Sherlock/Watson abode, especially because she has great chemistry with both Miller AND Liu.  In fact, I find her repartee with Liu a lot of fun, I can see them having a great girls night out.  Can you see a Joan Watson/Miss Hudson get their kiki on.  I can.

13 comments:

  1. I used to wonder on how anyone could improve on a classic, especially after being a devotee of the Jeremy Brett version of Holmes, until I saw Elementary. This show blows me away almost every week bringing a character or story line back to life in a complete and contemporary way.

    You are right, Bravo to CBS and whoever the production company is that is responsible for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I say as a transperson that I find the title of this really tasteless? I know it's supposed to be a joke referencing that song yada yada, but she isn't a "dude who looks like a lady". She's just a lady.

    I agree though, the casting was superbly done and I love what this show is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After more than one request to change the title I have changed it. I went back and forth when publishing this about it, if you read other posts you can see that it is just my kind of humor but I understand. Honestly the point is that I am proud to finally see a positive representation of the LGBT community on network TV. Whenever I think of a transsexual on Network TV I think of Law and Order SVU were they do get represented but generally as victims. I think it's important to shout out to CBS that we like what they are doing and we want to see more.

      Delete
  3. You get points for trying to be supportive, but the Title of your blog is offensive to trans women and there's absolutely no need to say Candis original name. Mentioning she's trans is enough, and that title has GOT to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Title changed, honestly meant to be a joke but I understand, and there is a reason I include her original name, I knew a lot of people would be coming to this blog to see if the person playing Miss Hudson is actually transexual as in movies like Transamerica a women played a transitioning man. Candis is so obviously a women I thought including her birth name would provide proof to those disbelieving. I am able to see how people google my blog at most people googled something like "is miss hudson actually transexual."

      Delete
    2. -You can do that without bringing up her old name.
      -re: transamerica: that character is a woman, not a 'transitioning man' and your assumption that 'woman' automatically means not trans is gross and pretty revealing of your actual impression of us

      Delete
  4. Sorry if this offends but I think it's very well written so bravo Sara. What people seem to be missing is you are applauding the fact that CBS are taking a lead in equality with this character and casting. Is it wrong to mention Candis's old name? No it's a factual statement and as you have said you used it to educate and provide proof to those disbelieving. Yes the original title of the piece may be a tad to the left but to me everything else on here is spot on.

    There is nothing offensive in this piece unless you want there to be.People need to stop looking for the worst in everything and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you understand my intention. When writing a blog its expected to get negative criticism, but I am very supportive of the LGBTQ community and always have been. I was happy to change the title, but I stand by everything else I said in this post. Thanks your your kindness and good karma to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Job. Your always going to piss someone off in a public forum and honestly, they need to realize that their reaction speaks more of them than it does of you.
    Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness, of course putting something out in public is difficult, especially when you face criticism, but it makes worth while when I receive supportive comments like this one. Thanks for reading and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  7. Miss Hudson was absolutely brilliantly played by Candis Cayne.I think the character is a brilliant update on the classic Miss Hudson character and the fact that the character is a transgendered woman is a breath of fresh air on the part of CBS and the producers of Elementary. Even more so because of the way Watson and Holmes interact with her. That she is transgendered is established in a way that is tasteful and in character, "She has an Adam's apple yes", and then not mentioned again or made a big deal of in anyway, she was treated by the characters exactly as what she was, a beautiful and successful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is that so important for you that Watson is an asian ant hudson a trans-gender ? Are all progressist that racist ?
    According to me,the only important thing is that she is a good or not actress.
    Every other things are BS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the trans people were already imposing their morality and will back in 2013 as well . And the author caved . This is how it starts . I for one ain't so damn sensitive due to the fact that I see past my feelings . I couldn't care less what his original title was . I'm glad they didn't keep the character of Ms. Hudson . I was just trying to find out why they didn't when I found this old blog . 10 years after the series aired , I am just now seeing it and on episode 21 . I concur with UnknownApril 8, 2019 at 1:08 PM , and if the character & actor is good , that's all that matters . When the White House lights up like a rainbow , you are officially no longer misrepresented nor oppressed .

    ReplyDelete